Today we are pleased to announce the launching of our Early Childhood Activist Toolkit. The ToolKit has both Informational Resources and Action Resources. It also includes information about our new Action Mini Grant Initiative!
We have heard from many of you who are working hard to keep developmentally appropriate teaching, learning and assessing in our early childhood classrooms. We prepared the ToolKit to assist you with your very important efforts. As we know, current education reform is often working against these goals.
Please visit our website and let us know what you think - your feedback is valuable. This ToolKit is a direct result of our sessions at NAEYC's Annual Conference (National Association for the Education of Young Children) in November, and we have been working hard to answer your call.
The shaping of the ToolKit will be an ongoing process, and your input is key. If you have thoughts on other items to add, please let us know.
DEY's Action Mini Grant Initiative
We are excited to offer a mini grant initiative to help foster your good work in your community as related to DEY's three principle goals:
- To mobilize the early childhood community to speak out with well-reasoned arguments against inappropriate standards, assessments, and classroom practices.
- To track the effects of new standards, especially those linked to the Common Core State Standards, on early childhood education policy and practice.
- To promote appropriate practices in early childhood classrooms and support educators in counteracting current reforms which undermine these appropriate practices.
- Hosting a parent information meeting
- Organizing a Call Your Legislator Day
- Spearheading a letter writing campaign to politicians
- Organizing a "Play-In" at the local school board
- Publicizing an "Opt Out" campaign
- See our website for more ideas...